Wednesday, January 27, 2010

"Angel's Blood" and "Angel's Pawn" by Nalini Singh




From Amazon.com:
FIRST IN THE GUILD HUNTER SERIES from -a major new talent- (CHRISTINE FEEHAN).Nalini Singh introduces readers to a world of beauty and bloodlust, where angels hold sway over vampires.Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux is hired by the dangerously beautiful Archangel Raphael. But this time, it-s not a wayward vamp she has to track. It-s an archangel gone bad.The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other-and pull her to the razor-s edge of passion. Even if the hunt doesn-t destroy her, succumbing to Raphael-s seductive touch just may. For when archangels play, mortals break.


I've not read Nalini Singh's work before, though I had heard of her Psy-Changeling series, recommended by other reader friends. I chose to pick up "Angel's Blood," as well as the companion novella, "Angel's Pawn," because this was the start of a new series, and a good jumping on place for me.

I'll admit, when a story involves heavenly characters--angels and demons, that is--I am always a bit wary. If an author writes the characters like they could have appeared in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, all is good. If they try to mold their story a more Biblical mold, it's not for me. I take my faith very seriously.

Having said that, Ms. Singh writes "angels" in the Buffy mold. (As in, excellent characters, in interesting situations, with some deeper moral and ethical questions motivating them through it all.) These are excellent tales, and I will certainly snap up "Archangel's Kiss" come Feb. 2.

No spoilers, but I found all of the characters to be fascinating, and I very much enjoyed how Ms. Nalini illustrated what might happen to immortals who lose more of their humanity (as much as they had, anyway) every passing year. Very well done.

A couple of comments--Ms. Singh told us what the vampires wore, and what Elena wore, but the angels--I would have liked to know more of what these fine feathered folks were wearing. Michaella's clothing was described, yes. But  what does an angel wear when flying around the city? Some of us humans would really like to know. Also, where did angels come from in the first place? (I hope this is something we discover in future books.) I'd love to know the mythology of the race, and a bit more of their history.

My rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment