Sunday, March 7, 2010

From Amazon.comDulcinea Craven descends from a long line of witches, and she has just inherited wild, untrained magical powers that she has no idea how to control. Now a ruthless vampire and an age-old demon are determined to enslave Cin and steal her power for their own. Her only hope is The Righteous, a band of warrior vampires who slay the rogue undead. Among them is Michael, a fierce swordsman who inflames Cin’s most primal hungers. Showing her a sensual pleasure beyond anything in the mortal realm, she must choose between the human existence she has always known, and immortality as a vampire—a new life filled with forbidden urges, dark yearning, and unearthly passions…

***

I'll admit...I'm late on this review. But, I'm late with it for a good reason, and that reason is that I so loved this book that I had to read the second one, Grave Sins, right away. Jenna Maclaine has created something that I adore...truly adore; she's created a paranormal mystery/adventure series that I could easy follow for years, if Ms. Maclaine keeps on writing them.

Cin Craven is an interesting character--just feisty enough to provide a kick-ass flair to the book, but she's not so hard as nails as to not show her more sensitive side. (I won't spoil any of the series by my review, but I will just say that it is very clear that Cin is devoted to her family and friends, no matter her status in life.)

Two points of the character and her story(s) give me pause. One, Cin could easily become too powerful, and in more than one occasion in the 2 books I've read, her powers seem to "come to the rescue" to save the day perhaps a bit too readily.The other is that Cin, for being such a "young" member of the group she travels with, seems to be leading the investigations a little too soon. I have the feeling that Devlin, Justine, and Michael were quite able to solve problems on their own before Cin arrived. 

Having said that, I will continue to follow this series, and I hope that Ms. Maclaine keeps up the high quality of the stories and of her writing. Truly, I adore series like this, and I find it very difficult (even though there are a multitude of series out there) to find a series/character I like. And I like this series...very much indeed.

Rating: 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment