Friday, February 5, 2010

"Lessons in French," by Laura Kinsale


From Amazon.com: 
Trevelyan and Callie are childhood sweethearts with a taste for adventure, until the fateful day her father discovers them embracing in the carriage house and, in a furious frenzy, drives Trevelyan away in disgrace. Nine long, lonely years later, Trevelyan returns. Callie discovers that he can still make her blood race and fill her life with excitement, but he can't give her the one thing she wants more than anything—himself.
For Trevelyan, Callie is a spark of light in a world of darkness and deceit. Before he can bear to say his last goodbyes, he's determined to sweep her into one last, fateful adventure, just for the two of them.

I cannot tell you how much I anticipated this book, since it's been a number of years since Laura Kinsale published a book, and I adore her work. And I must say that I was not disappointed--the book was a wonder.

The story's hero, Trevelyan, has a come home to see his dying mother. The heroine, Callie, has a sister soon to marry, is event is about to leave her in her cousin's home, unwanted. Her prize bull, Hubert, is, however, very much wanted, and it is Hubert, inevitably, who provides reason to bring our hero and heroine together over and over again. 

This was a marvelous tale of family, love, and livestock. (I continue to worry about the fat pig, and hope that her owner takes care to provide her a healthier diet.) Being a country girl at heart, I was overjoyed to read of a heroine in a Regency tale wearing muck out boots on a regular basis...I suspect it will be years, if ever, that I read of such a refreshing woman again. Truly, I loved this book. I hope that Ms. Kinsale does not take a break from her writing again any time soon. (But if she does, I will patiently wait for her new work, and buy it on the spot.)

If you haven't read any of Laura Kinsale's work, this is a fine book to start with. Then, of course, you must read all her other works without delay. If you are like me, then Trev and Callie will long remain in your heart.

Rating: 5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment