Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Graveyard Book



The cover from "The Graveyard Book."

Every once in a while, I run across a book that I am so excited about that I have to recommend it to all my friends. ("Push onto my friends," is more like it. Is it a crime to be a book pusher? I hope not.) But I digress. The book.

I ran across an early promo online of "The Graveyard Book" well in advance of the book's official release. Now, I like Neil Gaiman's books, and I've read (and enjoyed) "Coraline," his previous book aimed at younger readers. (He has published some picture books as well, one of them being "The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish," a very lovely book.) But often, I find Gaiman's work lacking in a kind of character development and depth that would cause the book to linger in my mind for days afterwards. But, because I liked the concept, I picked up the book. There is nothing lacking in the "The Graveyard Book," nothing at all except that it had to end. This is a book that still lingers in my mind, and I finished it well before Christmas. 

In "The Graveyard Book," Nobody Owens comes to live in a graveyard due to tragic circumstances. Yet, his life is far from tragic. And while many of the characters are dead, the story is one of life and the living. (And I think I'm partially in love with Silas.) 

Truly, I don't want to spoil the book. If you want to read a full description, go to Amazon.com and read one. Yet, you should still read the book. If you want to hear the book, hear the first chapter instead of read it, go to http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx to hear Mr. Gaiman read the book, chapter by chapter. (He read sequential chapters on a 9 city tour.) Marvelous stuff, though I'd recommend you read the book yourself first. 

This is a book to treasure. If you ask me what my favorite book is, at least this year, my answer will be "The Graveyard Book." I suspect it will be a favorite next year, and in many years to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment